Read and understand the article. If you may have any difficult words to pronounce and words you cannot understand, always ask your teacher.
*Teachers will divide the article into 2-3 paragraphs to help you understand and check the pronunciation of the difficult words.
*Read the words carefully
- observatory /əbˈzɜːvətri/ noun, a special building from which scientists watch the stars, the weather, etc.
- popular /ˈpɒpjələ(r)/ (a.) liked or enjoyed by a large number of people
- attraction /əˈtrækʃn / (n.) an interesting or enjoyable place to go or thing to do
- fix /fɪks/ (v.) repair or correct something
- control /kənˈtrəʊl/ (v.) the power to make decisions about how a country, an area, an organization, etc. is run
Read the text below
MP3 Download (right-click or option-click and save)
(1) The Empire State Building is in New York City. It has 102 floors. There is an observatory on the 86th floor. An observatory is a place where people can go to see a great view of the city.
(2) People from all around the world visit the observatory. It is one of New York City’s most popular tourist attractions.
(3) A company owns the Empire State Building. This company wants to sell one billion dollars in shares. A “share” is a part of a business that people own. The public will be able to buy some of these shares.
(4) The Malkin family owns a lot of shares. The family spent almost $500 million dollars on the Empire State Building. They wanted to fix it and make it modern. The family plans to buy more shares. They will spend millions of more dollars on the building.
(5) Some people are not happy. They think the Malkin family will have too much control over the Empire State Building. They want a judge to stop the Malkin family from buying more shares.
*Let’s talk about the article base on the questions below
- Do you know anything about New York City?
- Would you like to visit New York City someday?
- Where do you want to go if you can speak English well?