*Teachers will divide the article into 2-3 paragraphs to help you understand and check the pronunciation of the difficult words.
*Read the words carefully.
- nap /ˈnæp/ (n.)
- benefit/ˈbɛnəˌfɪt/ (n)
- stress /ˈstrɛs/ (n.)
a short period of sleep especially during the day
a good or helpful result or effect
a state of mental tension and worry caused by problems in your life or work
* Read the text below
(click right and save)
(1) In much of the United States, Sunday, March 13 marked the beginning of Daylight Savings Time. This meant many people lost one hour of sleep Saturday night.
(2) To help them ease into the time change, some Americans celebrated National Napping Day on Monday. The hashtag #nationalnappingday trended worldwide on Twitter and Facebook.
(3) Social media users urged people to take a nap during the day. They said the rest will help you deal with the loss of one hour’s worth of sleep.
(4) Midday naps are common in some countries. There, long lunch breaks enable workers and students to rest after eating.
(5) The United States is not one of those countries. Many American workers take just a 30-minute lunch break.
(6) On National Napping Day, people on social media celebrated the health benefits of napping. Research shows the extra rest can help reduce day-to-day stress. Studies also show naps are also good for your heart, and can help you think clearly at work or school.
(7) But some people tweeted about taking naps when they probably shouldn’t have been, such as during a class or at work.
It’s #nationalnappingday and I just took a really good nap in my math class. ????
— Abigail. ❣ (@_abigailfloress) March 14, 2016
(8) And not surprisingly, some of the most popular National Napping Day posts were of animals sleeping.
All in favour of #NationalNappingDay please yawn. pic.twitter.com/oRvVB23Ylm
— The Toronto Zoo (@TheTorontoZoo) March 14, 2016
Shouldn’t everyday be #NationalNappingDay? pic.twitter.com/Jo0g7Js97T
— AnimalPlanet (@AnimalPlanet) March 14, 2016
*Let’s talk about the article base on the questions below