Read and understand the story. If you may have any difficult words to pronounce and words you cannot understand, always ask your teacher.
*Teachers will divide the article into 2-3 paragraphs to help you understand and check the pronunciation of the difficult words.
*Read the words carefully.
- innovation /ˌˌɪnəˈveɪʃən/ (v.)
- three-dimensional /ˈθri dəˈmɛnʃən/ (n.)
- trend /ˈtrɛnd/ (adj.)
- wearable /ˈwerəbəl/ (n.)
- appear /əˈpiɚ/ (v.)
- What do you think about this invention?
- Do you think that the internet connected appliance is more useful than the ordinary one? Why?
- What do you think is the most important electronic device at home? why?
a new idea, device, or method
having or seeming to have length, width, and depth
something that is currently popular or fashionable
capable of being worn : suitable to wear
to seem to be something : to make someone think that a person or thing has a particular characteristic
* Read the text below
(right-click or option-click and save)
(1) The Consumer Electronics Show is held yearly in the western American city of Las Vegas, Nevada. It is one of the largest technology shows in the world. Technology companies and experts from around the world come to the event to see, hear and talk about the latest innovations and devices.
(2) More than 160,000 people were expected to attend the show, which was held this week.
(3) Each year’s show has specific trends, or popular items. These trends help companies know which electronic devices will be popular with consumers.
(4) One trend at this year’s show is ultra-high-definition televisions, or Ultra HDTVs. The picture is much better than that of regular HD TVs. The electronics maker Samsung says it will make nine new Ultra-HD televisions. Television manufacturer LG introduced more curved television designs. And Sony says all of its televisions will use the Android operating system.
(5) Another trend at the show is the practice of connecting home devices to the Internet. People can now connect dishwashers, stoves, refrigerators and even special containers for plants. However, developers still have to invent a way for all of the devices to be able to communicate with each other.
(6) One of the most popular categories of products in this year’s show is wearable devices. One such device is a special helmet that uses light to grow hair on a person’s head. Another helps reduce pain that people may have had for a long time. Developers also showed a ring that can be used to control other devices using hand movements. And they showed a necklace that connects to a mobile phone. It can send a message in case of an emergency.
(7) There has been a large growth in the number of three-dimensional, or “3-D,” printers manufactured in the past year. Because of this increase, prices are much lower — several models cost less than $1,000. In addition to 3-D printers, there is now a new 3-D pen. It lets users “draw” three-dimensional objects.
(8) Robots were also shown at this year’s show. Some of them help children learn computer programming. Others create a computer, or “virtual,” version of a person so someone can be in one place and appear to be in another place at the same time.
*Let’s talk about the article base on the questions below