Read and understand the story. If you may have any difficult words to pronounce and words you cannot understand, always ask your teacher.
*Teachers will divide the article into 2-3 paragraphs to help you understand and check the pronunciation of the difficult words.
*Read the words carefully.
- justice /ˈʤʌstəs/ (adj.)
- toxic /ˈtɑːksɪk/ (v.)
- What do you think is the cause of bombing in Thailand? Have you ever been there?
- What was the effect of the explosion in Tianjin, China? How can the government help those who are affected?
- Do you often worry about safety when traveling? Waht do you do to keep yourself safe?
a place connected with a holy person or event where people go to worship
the process or result of using laws to fairly judge and punish crimes and criminals
containing poisonous substances
* Read the text below
(click right and save)
(1) Thai police have released video of the suspected bomber in Monday’s deadly blasts in Bangkok. At least 22 people died and 120 others were injured. Most of them were foreigners.
(2) The video was taken from a security camera outside the Erawan Shrine where the explosions occurred. It shows a dark-haired man in a yellow shirt. The man sits and takes off his backpack on a bench, leaving it behind as he walks away. Police said the blast occurred shortly after he left.
(3) Another explosion occurred on Tuesday in Bangkok. It happened after someone dropped an explosive device off the King Taksin Bridge. The explosion occurred in the water, and did not cause injuries.
(4) Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said Tuesday the government will “work to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice as soon as possible.”
(5) Tianjin worries about rainfall and spread of chemicals
(6) Rain has fallen in China’s northeastern port city of Tianjin, where two large chemical explosions occurred last week. Officials there are trying to prevent the spread of dangerous chemicals and explosives from the site.
(7) Officials have assured the public that measures are in place if the chemicals spread. However, it was not immediately clear whether Tuesday’s rain would cause the spread of toxic chemicals and dangerous materials.
(8) Authorities say some 3,000 tons of hazardous materials were stored at the site at the time of the explosions last week. The chemicals included sodium cyanide and potassium nitrate.
(9) UN: Greece must lead on refugee crisis
(10) The United Nations told Greece on Tuesday it must show “much more leadership” as more than 160,000 refugees and migrants arrive in the country.
(11) The UN High Commissioner for Refugees said the Greek government has a responsibility to do more, and the European Union must also support Athens in the refugee crisis.
(12) On Tuesday, six Syrian migrants, including a young child, drowned off the Turkish coast as they tried to reach the Greek island of Kos.
*Let’s talk about the article base on the questions below